Pa’phos (boiling, or hot), a town at the west end of Cyprus, connected by a road with Salamis at the east end. It was founded b.c. 1184 (during the period of the judges in Israel). Paul and Barnabas travelled, on their first missionary expedition, “through the isle,” from the latter place to the former. Acts 13:6. The great characteristic of Paphos was the worship of Aphrodite or Venus, who was fabled to have here risen from the sea. Her temple, however, was at “Old Paphos,” now called Kuklia. The harbor and the chief town were at “New Paphos,” ten miles to the northwest. The place is still called Baffa.